ONION SOUP WITH COGRUET CHEESE
- 2 large sweet onions, Vidalia type, cut into thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 10 mL (2 tsp.) fresh thyme, chopped
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) butter
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) warm beef stock
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) Cogruet,shredded
- 12 slices of toasted ficelle or baguette
Servings: 2 - Preparation: 10 min - Cooking: 15 min
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the onion, garlic and thyme with the olive oil until everything is fully coated.
- Place on a cooking sheet covered with parchment paper; season to taste.
- Bake in middle of oven 40 minutes or until golden.
- Turn onions after 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter at medium heat, add the onion mixture and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour, blend in and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef stock and mix well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of shredded Cogruet cheese in the bottom of each ovenproof soup bowl.
- Ladle hot soup in the bowls.
- Cover with 3 slices of toasted ficelle and top with 60 ml (1/4 cup) shredded Cogruet cheese.
- Broil 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.